1. BENVENUTO SU CONSOLE TRIBE

Benvenuto, stai navigando nella nostra community come ospite

Avere un account su Console Tribe ti permetterà di creare e partecipare alle discussioni e al mercatino, organizzare tornei e partite online, iniziare conversazioni personali con gli altri giocatori del forum e di utilizzare tutte le funzioni di questo sito.

Registra il tuo account in meno di 5 secondi, se vuoi puoi sfruttare i login social via Facebook, Google Plus o Twitter.

Time Warner pronta al lancio di Total HD disc

Discussione in 'Console News, Articoli e Recensioni' iniziata da Mohr, 5 Gennaio 2007.

1. Mohr

Mohr Tribe Member

"Mi Piace" ricevuti:
    Punteggio:
    Viene pubblicata proprio oggi sul New York Times una notizia dalla portata potenzialmente storica. Pare, infatti, che la guerra dei supporti che si sta consumando tra i Blu-ray di Sony e gli HD-DVD di Toshiba, con alle spalle Microsoft, sia giunta ad una svolta. Come già accaduto in passato, l'ago della bilancia sarà rappresentato dalle scelte di Time Warner, colosso americano dell'intrattenimento, che ha già deciso il successo dei DVD e che si appresta a spostare gli equilibri della sfida attuale. Attraverso la Warner Brothers, la settimana prossima, in occasione del Consumer Electronics Show di Las Vegas, verrà annunciato il varo di un nuovo formato: Total HD disc. L'indecisione tra i due formati attuali, che ha indotto il mercato in una sorta di fase di stallo, pare prossima alla fine: la Time Warner, forte della sua influenza sul mondo di Hollywood, ha deciso di spingere affinchè su un unico supporto vengano ospitati entrambi i formati, in modo da dare un impulso deciso alla nuova tecnologia ad alta definizione. Tutto questo per far sì che non si ripeta la spiacevole avventura di titoli come "Ice Age 2", disponibile per i soli Blu-ray, oppure di "The Break-Up", pubblicato esclusivamente su HD-DVD. Questa operazione è dettata da un ragionamento molto semplice: alle case cinematografiche poco importa del formato sul quale le proprie produzioni verranno ospitate, purchè sia raggiunto potenzialmente il maggior numero di utenti possibile. Vi riportiamo di seguito un estratto dell'articolo completo in lingua originale apparso oggi sul NY Times.

Consumers wary of buying new high-definition DVD players because of a technology war reminiscent of the days of Betamax versus VHS will soon have a new kind of DVD that might make the decision less daunting.

Warner Brothers, which helped popularize the DVD more than a decade ago, plans to announce next week a single videodisc that can play films and television programs in both Blu-ray and HD-DVD, the rival DVD technologies.

Warner Brothers, a division of Time Warner, plans to formally announce the new disc, which it is calling a Total HD disc, at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas on Tuesday.

Two rival camps introduced high-definition DVD players last year: a consortium called Blu-ray, backed by Sony and others, and a group called HD-DVD, backed by Toshiba and Microsoft. Retail and media executives say this clash of corporate titans and their incompatible machines has left some consumers bewildered and has slowed the introduction of what is intended to be the next great thing in home entertainment.

Executives at Time Warner and its Hollywood subsidiary hope to spur sales of new DVD players and movies by gaining the support of retailers and cajoling rival studios into making their film and television libraries available in both formats on a single disc.

In addition to reviving the ghost of the war that marked the introduction of videocassettes in the 1980s, the high-definition battle has been exacerbated by the decision of several major studios to support only one of the technologies.

Thus, for instance, a copy of 20th Century Fox’s “Ice Age: The Meltdown” is available only on Blu-ray, while Universal’s “The Break-Up” can be viewed only on a disc and player built with HD-DVD technology.

Barry M. Meyer, the chairman and chief executive of Warner Brothers, said in an interview that the company came up with the Total HD disc after concluding that neither Blu-ray nor HD-DVD was going the way of Betamax anytime soon.

“The next best thing is to recognize that there will be two formats and to make that not a negative for the consumer,” Mr. Meyer said. “We felt that the most significant constituency for us to satisfy was the consumer first, and the retailer second. The retailer wants to sell hardware and doesn’t want to be forced into stocking two formats for everything. This is ideal for them.”

Another wrinkle is plans by LG Electronics, and possibly other gadget makers attending the Las Vegas conference, to announce new DVD players with drives for both formats; however, such players will most likely be initially more expensive than other players.

Jeffrey L. Bewkes, the president of Time Warner, said the Total HD disc has a better chance of catching on than dual players. Research commissioned by Warner indicates that consumers are willing to pay several dollars more than current high-definition DVDs for a disc that works on both players. At the Web site for Best Buy, Warner’s “Superman Returns” DVD was selling yesterday for $19.99 in its standard format, $29.99 for Blu-ray and $34.99 for HD-DVD.

Still, it is not clear whether news of Warner’s Total HD disc would convince the studio heads who are backing one format or the other to release their wares in both. Sony, of course, has placed a big bet on Blu-ray’s success and does not want to relive the sting of Betamax’s defeat. The number of studios committed solely to Blu-ray has been seen as a competitive edge, particularly because HD-DVD came to market several months ahead of Blu-ray.

And HD-DVD’s boosters say they doubt gaming fans who have been snapping up the just-introduced PlayStation 3 will take advantage of its built-in Blu-ray player and buy movies as well as video games.

In recent interviews, executives at Fox and Disney were unequivocal in their support for Blu-ray. They said they believed that releasing DVDs in both formats would only prolong confusion and the emergence of a winning format. “I think the fastest way to end the format war is through decisiveness and strength,” said Bob Chapek, the president of Buena Vista Worldwide Entertainment, the home video arm of Walt Disney.

Like other Blu-ray proponents and partners, Mr. Chapek said that he favors Blu-ray because of its greater storage capacity and other attributes. HD-DVD offers the same vivid picture by storing less information on its disc, which means fewer minutes of video and other features. However, among its perceived advantages, HD-DVD players are less expensive.

Because of manufacturing complexities, the Total HD disc will not contain a standard format version, said Kevin Tsujihara, the president of Warner Brothers Home Entertainment Group. However, several months ago the company filed patents for a new disc incorporating all three formats, which it could produce in the future.

Mr. Tsujihara described the new disc as an elegant way for studios to make their content available more widely “in a way that is not conceding defeat” for the format they have been backing.

In the short term, Total HD would actually add to the number of formats retailers will have to stock, raising it from three to four. However, Irynne V. MacKay, senior vice president for entertainment products at Circuit City, said she supported the idea because it took pressure off consumers puzzling over which format to invest in. “The simpler the future is for us, the better,” said Ms. MacKay.
  2. raider

raider Tribe Member

"Mi Piace" ricevuti:
    Punteggio:
    Sostanzialmente il loro supporto Total HD altro non è che un disco con due facce, una HD-DVD e l'altra BluRay...L'ideale sarebbe fare i lettori a doppio standard, il prezzo di vendita sarebbe solo un pò più alto (almeno nei primi periodi), ma poi sceglie il consumatore se acquistare l'uno o l'altro tipo di supporto.
    Si parlava anche di dischi Total HD con una faccia DVD e l'altra HD-DVD e tutte le altre varie combinazioni possibili (inclusi i CD ed i Bluray).
    Se interessa la masterizzazione, non ha senso questo standard, troppo costoso un supporto a due facce per due standard, meglio o l'uno o l'altro singolarmente!;)
    Insomma, la stessa storia dei DVD+R e DVD-R con i rispettivi masterizzatori; all'inizio eri vincolato, adesso sono multistandard.
    Se invece dovessero commercializzare film in Total-HD, verrebbe a costare di più produrre un supporto del genere (significherebbe stampare il supporto su entrambe le facce mettendo 2 volte lo stesso film) il che ricadrebbe sui nostri portafogli...
    Mia fonte: http://punto-informatico.it/p.aspx?id=1834194
  3. vincecart

vincecart Tribe Newbie

"Mi Piace" ricevuti:
    Punteggio:
    Basta.Non ripeterò +.Sono per Blu ray proprio perchè i Big hanno firmato per il supporto creato da Sony.
  4. jesusfazan

jesusfazan Tribe Member

"Mi Piace" ricevuti:
    Punteggio:
    a me un dvd con 2 facce stampate me pare na boiata pazzesca... pensa le ditate e a come si rovinerebbe facilmente.
    se riuscissero a mettere entrambi i formati su un unica faccia allora sì che sarebbe una gran cosa...
  5. Amenic

Amenic Tribe Member

"Mi Piace" ricevuti:
    Punteggio:
    LG presenterà a breve un lettore ibrido Bluray / HD-DVD..........
  6. cash974

cash974 Tribe Member

"Mi Piace" ricevuti:
    Punteggio:
    Alla fine andrà a finire sicuramente così mi sa...Il problema della Ps3 che monta il lettore Bluray poco si risolve perchè quello rimane ma l'xbox360 avendocelo esterno puo' sempre uscire in futuro con qualcosa di ibrido che si colleghi alla console...
  7. shein54

shein54 Tribe Member

"Mi Piace" ricevuti:
    Punteggio:
    visto che sono usciti già da un pezzo i driver UDF 2,5 x far andare il lettore originale HD-DVD della 360 sul PC e ripparti i Film con BACKHDDVD 1.0, chi vi dice che qualche smanettone non riesca a convertire quei driver oppure a crearli per il linux di PLAY3????

Per me è fattibilissimo, così la pla3 avrà Blueray e HD-DVD, tanto l'HD-DVD di xbox360 è usb 2.0, e sicuramente uscirà una utiliti del genere x farlo andare su play 3.
  8. imported_VeG

imported_VeG Tribe Newbie

"Mi Piace" ricevuti:
    Punteggio:
    Sì, ma è il massimo vedere un lettore targato X360 su una PS3 lool
  9. raider

raider Tribe Member

"Mi Piace" ricevuti:
    Punteggio: